Letter: If Streatham MP Chuka Umunna is so keen on cutting business rates, why not ask Lambeth Council to do it?
2:06pm Friday 6th December 2013 in News
I write to you concerning a recent article about our MP in the National press.
He states that the Government should be cutting business rates further still (whilst they have already slashed Corporation Tax), yet in Streatham businesses are closing in part due to high rates set by the Council.
If our MP is so keen on cutting business rates, will he ask Labour-run Lambeth to use their power to do so now?
This would give hard-pressed businesses, the life-blood of our economy, a much-deserved break in the run up to Christmas, which is the most crucial time of year for retailers.
Yet again, he is presenting one message whilst on the national stage, whilst doing completely the opposite in his own back yard.
Al Hamilton; Chairman, Streatham Conservatives
What do you think? If you have something to say, say it in a letter and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Firefighters to go on strike again over pensions dispute
- Tribute for world renowned dancer who died in Norbury house fire
- Clapham man faces murder charge after death of James Fiennes
- Man charged with murder after death in Mortlake
- UPDATE: Tapas bar murder inquiry launched - police seek witnesses