Maggot found wriggling around in Kellogg's cereal bar
A man got quite a fright when he discovered a live maggot in a cereal bar.
Kemar Stewart, 23, of Norbury, who works in retail, found the little critter on December 2 as he ate the bar for his breakfast.
He had eaten about two thirds of the bar when he took another bite, put the bar down on the wrapper and noticed something wriggling.
Mr Stewart said he immediately spat out the contents and showed it to his mother, Maureen, who agreed with her son that it was a maggot.
The cereal bar, which he bought from Tesco in Thornton Heath, was due to expire in May 2014.
Ms Stewart reported the incident to Tesco and Kellogg’s. The cereal giant is now investigating the incident.
Her son said he is not sure he can eat a cereal bar ever again.
Mr Stewart said: "As I had eaten most of it I felt sick especially after realising what was in there, not knowing whether I had eaten any of it.
"I immediately ran upstairs and washed out my mouth, but for the rest of the day I felt sick.
"I feel traumatised by what happened and cannot eat another cereal bar in the future."
His mum spoke to Kellogg’s on the same day and was told she would receive an envelope to send the cereal bar to the within seven days, but it did not arrive until days later.
A spokesman for the company said when a product is returned they forensically examine the pack and will contact the complainant to discuss their findings.
They said the company have sent another pack to Mr Stewart as they have yet to receive the cereal bar.
The spokesman added: "In the meantime we do of course assure all consumers that we do take food safety very seriously, and we thank Maureen Stewart for bringing this to our attention."
Comments are closed on this article.