Family forced to evacuate house after freezer fire in Norbury

Firefighters have reminded residents to check their fire alarms

Firefighters have reminded residents to check their fire alarms

First published in News
Last updated
Streatham Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

Firefighters have warned residents to check their fire alarms after a family had to evacuate their house this morning following a freezer fire.

Two fire engines from Norbury went to Georgia Road at 4.50am today after a fire broke out in a utility room on the ground floor, believed to be caused by a freezer overheating.

Three people escaped from the house after one of them smelt the smoke from the fire.

Their fire alarm did not go off because it had a dead battery.

No one was injured and Norbury Crew Manager Mike Thomas said the fire was extinguished in a few minutes with the house sustaining some smoke damage.

He said: “No one was hurt and we were able to put the fire out quickly but this shows the importance of making sure you check your fire alarm batteries at least once a week.

“If they had not woken up and smelt the smoke then of course this could have been potentially much worse.”

To find out more about fire safety go to london-fire.gov.uk.


TODAY'S TOP STORIES

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree