Boy in hospital with burns after chip pan fire in Pawsons Road, Norbury

The boy was burned in a chip pan fire yesterday

The boy was burned in a chip pan fire yesterday

First published in News
Last updated
Streatham Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

A 12-year-old boy has been left with burns after a chip pan caught fire.

The child had managed to put out the flames by using a wet towel but then was splashed with hot oil when he carried the pan outside his home in Pawsons Road, Norbury.

Firefighters treated him for burns before an ambulance arrived just after 5pm yesterday (Wednesday, May 28).

He was then taken to Croydon University Hospital for treatment to the burns on his forearms.

Watch manager Robert Scrivener, from Norbury fire station, has issued fire safety advice.

He said: “Never fill a chip pan up more than a third full of oil and dry food before putting it in the pan.

“If the oil has started to smoke then turn it off and let it cool down and never leave cooking unattended.

“If it does catch fire then do not take any risks and do not move the pan, turn off the heat and do not ever throw water on it.

“Leave the kitchen, shut the door and call 999 – get out and stay out.”

 

 

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree